Community Development Department, St. Charles County
St. Charles, MO United States
JOB DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this position is to coordinate the processing of all permit applications requiring Division approval, including workflow assignments to other planners; to oversee the functions of the Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment; help to administer the County’s floodplain program; and to oversee the County One Stop development team. The work is performed under the direction of the Planning and Zoning Division Director.
• Oversees the Division’s review and approvals of applications, including acceptance, work assignment, review, and approval of applications, utilizes the County’s digital permit system.
• Participates on inter-divisional and inter-departmental work teams, as necessary, to address issues and opportunities with County processes.
• Directs review of preliminary and final plats for compliance with Unified Development Ordinance.
• Prepares staff recommendations to Boards and Commissions in coordination with the Division Director.
• Meets with developers, attorneys and private individuals regarding county zoning regulations and land subdivision process.
• Oversees the County’s One Stop development team.
• Assists the Planning and Zoning Division Director in administering the County’s floodplain program, including the day-to-day activities.
• Plans and reviews materials for meetings of Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment.
• Reviews and develops programs and procedures to ensure compliance with state laws and county ordinances.
• Represents the Division Director at meetings, as necessary.
• Provides information to staff and the public regarding zoning, subdivision, and land development regulations.
• Research planning issues.
• Responds to correspondence for requested action or information.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Geography or related field.
- Master's degree preferred.
- AICP Certification preferred.
- A valid motor vehicle operator’s license is required.
• Job experience
- 5 years of urban planning experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Must be proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and have advanced skills in utilizing GIS applications.
- Ability to calculate percentages, fractions, decimals, volumes, ratios, present values and spatial relationships.
- Ability to interpret basic descriptive statistical reports.
- Ability to decide the time, place and sequence of operations within an organizational framework, and to oversee their execution.
- Ability to analyze and categorize data and information using established criteria, to determine consequences and identify and select alternatives.
- Ability to utilize a variety of advisory and design data and information such as technical planning studies, building site plans, subdivision plans, census data, rezoning and conditional use applications, zoning order, subdivision rules, State statutes, master plans, a variety of maps, planning textbooks, and non-routine correspondence.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with Planning staff, other departments, developers, real estate brokers, attorneys, engineers, County officials and the general public.
- Employment is contingent on successfully passing a full criminal background check.
TO APPLY: All applications must be submitted only through our Self-Service Website at http://hr.sccmo.org/hr. We do not accept faxed, e-mailed or print applications.
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled or a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied.