GIS / Data Management / Travel Model Technician
Mid-America Regional Council
Kansas City, MO United States
The Mid-America Regional Council, the Kansas City area’s nonprofit association of city and county governments and metropolitan planning organization, is seeking a qualified professional to serve on our Research Services team in strong partnership with our Information Technology team and help enhance MARC’s technical capacity.
Governed by a board of 33 local elected officials, MARC provides a forum for the region to work together to advance the social, economic, and environmental progress of the Kansas City region. MARC promotes regional cooperation through leadership, planning and action. Our work is organized around eight key policy goals: efficient transportation and quality places; a healthy environment; a competitive economy; effective local government; safe and secure communities; thriving older adults and communities; quality early learning; and exemplary core capacities. We are committed to core values of integrity, innovation, collaboration, diversity and inclusion, excellence in performance, and service leadership. For additional information visit www.marc.org.
About this position
As the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Kansas City region, MARC prepares:
- A long-range Metropolitan Transportation Plan every five years that outlines a long-range plan for the transportation system that includes elements for all modes of travel.
- A Transportation Improvement Program every two years that allocates federal funds to projects.
- A range of other metropolitan planning products.
This position supports MARC’s travel forecasting and regional planning capabilities by supporting application and maintenance of regional transportation models. The technician will help estimate, calibrate, validate and apply multimodal travel demand models in support of MARC’s technical capacities related to integrated multimodal transportation and land use planning, air quality analysis, and scenario planning.
This position will also provide support for data analysis and management, offer creative problem solving, collaborate with a team of MARC technical and planning staff, interact with planning partners in a dynamic and evolving urban area, and communicate modeling concepts and results.
- Assist in the maintenance, validation, and implementation of regional travel demand forecasting model.
- Prepare travel model scenario inputs including demographic, socioeconomic and transportation networks.
- Support model applications, analyze and summarize model outputs and present findings.
- Respond to data requests and data exchange from local and state agencies or consulting partners.
- Participate in integration of transportation, air quality and land use modeling.
- Provide technical support for regional planning and performance measurement activities.
Support implementation of data and system management recommendations, such as:
- Document data identification, acquisition, storage location, and usage standards.
- Complete metadata dictionary and database.
- Maintain an inventory of systems and software.
- Support enforcement of data management policies and data and file naming convention standards.
- Support efforts to update transportation models, develop scenario planning applications and define performance measures.
- Provide GIS mapping support for basic map production.
- Support development of climate model with the goal of setting targets, tracking progress and reporting outcomes.
Education and qualifications
This position requires an associate degree. A bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, engineering, computer science, geography, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university is preferred. Candidates must have completed coursework in statistics or econometrics. Coursework in GIS and data analysis is also preferred.
Computer and technical skills
This position requires demonstrated experience with databases, GIS, and standard office software. Ideal candidates will have solid analytical and quantitative skills and an understanding of statistical methods, transportation planning and urban development concepts.
Knowledge of the following is preferred:
- Land use models and mobile source emissions modeling software such as MOVES.
- One of the major travel demand modeling software packages such as EMME, CUBE, TransCAD or VISUM.
- Programming/scripting languages such as Python, C, SQL, R and SAS.
Good written and verbal skills are essential. The position requires an individual with interest and flair for data analysis and visualization, strong attention to detail and the capacity to communicate complex technical subjects to a broad audience. It also requires a highly collaborative, team-based approach.
This is a full-time exempt position. The starting salary range is $43,000 to $51,500, depending on qualifications and experience. This position is open until filled.
To apply, complete our online application form and attach your cover letter and resume. Applicants should submit a cover letter; resume and a writing sample where technical issues and results are clearly and succinctly described using text and graphics. Learn more at www.marc.org/jobs.