Community Development Specialist (Full-Time)
Meramac Regional Planning Commission
St. James, MO United States
Nature of Work
Under the supervision of the executive director, assistant director, planning manager or project development manager, the Community Development Specialist is responsible for providing technical expertise to communities in applications, administration of grant and loan programs, planning and special projects.
This specific position primarily will be involved in preparing/updating hazard mitigation plans, under the supervision of the assistant director, and assisting with transportation planning projects, under the supervision of the planning manager.
Responsibilities performed on a daily and/or weekly basis include:
- Providing information and technical assistance to member governments in meeting state and federal requirements;
- Providing information and educational programs on current problems facing local government.
- Assisting in the application preparation and administration of grants, loan programs, planning documents, research projects and other programs;
- Coordinating regional programs including joint purchases and workshops;
- Identifying specific needs within communities and making recommendations and providing technical assistance;
- Providing information on federal and state funding programs;
- Providing basic research for the use of senior level professionals and member governments;
- Analyzing and organizing data into written reports utilizing computerization techniques, composition and editing skills;
- Coordinating and providing professional assistance to citizens, groups and local governments within and outside the region;
- Coordinating fundraising and volunteer development, special events and projects.
Additional daily/weekly responsibilities may include:
- Providing assistance in the updating and computerization of strategic/comprehensive plans to communities;
- Providing information, compilation of applications, and the administering of loans for MRPC's affiliated boards and loan programs;
- Using ARCGIS, HAZUS, and/or other software to create GIS and cartographic products for member governments or planning projects.
- Manipulating and analyzing GIS data for use by member governments or planning projects.
- Researching and updating data and MRPC - related information both for written reports and electronic media; and
- Performance of any other task assigned.
This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of the Meramec Regional Planning Commission are expected to perform tasks as assigned by supervisory/management personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with preference given to major course work in the fields of public administration, business administration, economics, or other closely related fields of study. One year of relevant experience is preferred but not required. Two years of relevant experience may be substituted for each year of required education. Skill in the preparation of written reports and experience with GIS is desirable and competency in communication with public officials is essential. Must possess a valid driver's license. Must possess the ability to work well with co-workers, commissioners and the desire to work in a team atmosphere.
Constant use of hands and arms to type and write in order to complete necessary paperwork. Must be able to drive and/or ride long distances; nighttime driving is necessary. Must be able to converse by phone and in person with customers and clients. Must be able to sit long periods of time. Must be able to lift boxes of files to move them from one location to another. Must be able to kneel to go through files in lower level cabinets. Must be able to navigate rough, unimproved terrain to monitor projects.
The salary range for this position, if full-time, is $34,974 to $41,000 per year, based on 40 hours per week. This position, as posted, is full-time with benefits.
Internal and External Application Information
Applicants should submit a resume to Meramec Regional Planning Commission, 4 Industrial Drive, St. James, MO 65559, Attn: Tammy Snodgrass, assistant director, or by email at email@example.com
Position is open until filled. EOE/AA.
Click here for more information.