City of Baytown
Baytown, TX United States
Baytown is a growing community with a population of approximately 82,000 situated on the north side of Galveston Bay. As a full-service municipal government our purpose is simple – Together we enrich lives and build community.
Our employees are dedicated to public service through Caring, Innovation, Collaboration, Leadership and Stewardship, and we are looking for a qualified candidate who shares our values to join our team in the role of Planner II.
The Planner II is responsible for working on comprehensive planning projects independently or in support of the ongoing long-range and special projects relating to the City’s Comprehensive Plan, annexation, and land development ordinances. The position is also responsible for case management of major land development applications, reviewing commercial and residential permits. This position is under the supervision of the Principal Planning Manager.
Assists with project management and design for major planning initiatives and special projects to implement the city goals, including overseeing work of consultants, conferring with other departments, citizens, civic leaders, neighborhood groups, developers, real estate agencies and engineers.
Assists with updates and maintenance of Comprehensive Plan and land development regulations. Conducts extensive research in specific or general project areas writes, or assist in writing, regulations relating to land development. Shares case manager duties for annexation work.
Assists the Planning Division in reviewing development proposals for compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, the zoning, subdivision, parking, and landscape regulations. Acts as case manager on new commercial project applications.
Reviews building permit applications and engineering civil plans for zoning compliance. May review variance and special exception permit applications. Prepares and posts notice of public hearings.
Uses permit tracking software to track land development cases and to prepare reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, landscape architecture, architecture, engineering, or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three years related experience in professional planning or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in GIS, permit tracking software, and full suite of Microsoft Office products.
- Strong customer service skills, ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people and situations.
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- Master’s degree in planning, landscape architecture, architecture, engineering, or related field from an accredited university.
- Prior public sector experience.
- AICP certification.
Apply Online: https://www.baytown.org/
Here at the City of Baytown, in recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you bring. We strive to provide a workplace where differences are honored, with a workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we serve.