City of Blue Springs
BLUE SPRINGS, MO United States
This role provides oversight of the administration of land development regulations and the City's Comprehensive and Area/Specific Plans to guide future growth and development of the City. In addition, assists the Director/Assistant Director in a variety of Community Development initiatives for the Division, and assists in the daily work oversight of subordinate planning, technical, and clerical staff.
- Provides day-to-day management of current-planning projects and supervision of assigned staff.
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis.
- Advises the Assistant Community Development Director and Community Development Director on all planning related matters.
- Provides oversight for the development and maintenance of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Prepares area plans and updates elements of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with local, state and federal laws.
- Oversees management and compliance of the City's participation in the federal HUD Community Development Block Grant program.
- Performs in-depth policy analysis to support the decision-making process of the Department.
- Conducts studies and prepares reports concerning land use zoning and site plan design review of commercial projects.
- Assists citizens and answers inquiries concerning zoning or other matters relating to the division.
- Prepares recommendations for changes to the Unified Development Code.
- Performs field surveys and other work related to the efficient and effective operation of the division.
- Prepares and presents specialized planning reports and memos to the Mayor and City Council, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and other Boards and Commissions as assigned by the Assistant Director.
- Prepares reports on operations and activities including providing recommendations for improvements and modifications to programs and processes.
- Participates in and attends meetings of the City Council, Planning Commission, and Board of Adjustment as needed.
- Provides staff support to various Boards and Commissions as needed.
- Assists in the pre-application meetings for potential development applications including the preparation of agendas, and review comments for their projects.
- Represents the Department before county, regional, state, and federal groups when appropriate or when so directed by the Assistant Director.
- Performs special projects, studies and other related duties as assigned and required from time to time.
Graduation from a recognized College or University with a Bachelor's degree in planning, transportation planning, public administration, urban geography, architecture, civil engineering, environmental sciences, landscape architecture, or a closely related field.
A Master's degree in Planning or Public Administration may be substituted for two years of the non-specialized required experience.
Four years of increasingly responsible professional land use planning experience. Planning related experience with a local government is preferred.
Licenses and Certificates:
Valid, lawful driver's license is required at the time of appointment.
(Must be able to obtain American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification within one year of accepting the position.