Urban Designer I
Washington University in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO United States
POSITION SUMMARY: URBAN DESIGNER I
The position will fulfill a critical role within the Office of the University Architect, assisting in the planning, development, and design for the University’s physical planning initiatives for on and off-campus sites.
The position is listed on https://jobs.wustl.edu, Job ID 49814.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Conducts spatial analyses, analytical mapping, precedent research, and scalar studies to support University planning projects.
2. Develops and enhances planning scenarios, design options and ideas, and concepts.
3. Produces graphic and visual representations, including 3-Dimensional models, rendered plans, and related maps and illustrations.
4. Produces and supports professional presentations, graphics, reports, and documents.
5. Contributes actively to stakeholder outreach, planning exercises, and visioning processes.
6. Produces high-quality renderings and images for use in visioning and concept planning projects.
7. Initiates, develops and manages drawing and graphic files and 3D models for planning projects.
8. Manages time and workload to meet project task deadlines and commitments.
9. Communicates and collaborates with multiple departments on behalf of the Office of the University Architect, the Office of Real Estate, and other partners.
Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, or Landscape Architecture with one to three years of working experience.
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, or Landscape Architecture.
- LEED or LEED-ND accredited professional, AICP certification, AIA, and/or ASLA affiliated, are highly desired
- Solid foundation and knowledge of urban design and planning fundamentals, scenario planning, public realm planning, placemaking, place keeping, street design, and sustainability.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize analytical data for planning and design purposes.
- Excellent graphic and design software expertise and experience.
- Adeptness at hand drawing and sketching.
- Excellent visual, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively manage their time and workload.
- Ability to effectively take direction and work collaboratively and autonomously.
- Experience with Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Office Suite, Sketchup, Rhino, and AutoCAD.
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS and R is desired.
The hiring range for this position is $48,087 - $62,517 annually