City of Raymore
Raymore, MO United States
We are growing! The City of Raymore, Missouri (pop. 21,784) is a suburb of Kansas City experiencing rapid growth and expansion. Raymore is only 50% built out and, with a recently adopted Strategic Plan, has many opportunities for expansion. Due to our continued growth, we are seeking a full-time Associate Planner or City Planner. The position will be filled as an Associate Planner or City Planner depending upon candidate qualifications.
The Planner will have the opportunity to work on several exciting projects, including having a significant role in the creation of a new City Comprehensive Plan; assistance with the 2020 Census; submittal of an application for designation as a Walk Friendly Community; and member of the City Economic Development Team.
Under the guidance of the Development Services Director, this position will perform professional-level work in planning and development review for the City of Raymore.
The list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by this position.
- Performs professional work in current and long-range planning.
- Analyzes and reviews development proposals or applications such as rezoning requests, preliminary and final plats, minor subdivisions, architectural reviews, development permits, variance applications, minor building permits, and temporary use permits for compliance with appropriate planning principles, regulations, and policies.
- Prepares and implements elements of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Researches and prepares master plans, long-range planning studies, ordinance amendments, and reports on other planning issues.
- Prepares recommendations to a variety of boards, committees, and councils.
- Organizes and facilitates meetings with developers and community groups to introduce and discuss new development proposals and planning projects.
- Answers planning, zoning and development process questions from citizens, developers and other agencies.
- Advises architects, builders, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and the public on the city's Growth Management Plan, development policies, procedures, and standards and other land use matters including the current zoning of property. May assist in the research of these matters.
- Conducts field inspections to verify compliance with approved plans and conditions.
- Reviews and approves building permits for zoning compliance.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentation materials for public hearings and meetings.
- Utilizes the city's GIS mapping programs.
- Collects, records, and maintains databases of statistical and demographic information.
- Retrieves, manipulates, and summarizes information for planning reports.
- Prepares articles and correspondence related to planning issues or projects.
- Prepares technical staff reports.
- Participates in regional planning efforts and federal census processes.
- Researches local, regional and national planning issues.
- Researches and advises department on the use of federal programs and funding.
- Gives presentations to the Planning Commission, City Council, or Board of Adjustment.
- May facilitate resolution of conflicting views on projects, and negotiate and prepare developer agreements and contracts.
- May analyze socioeconomic forecasts and population trends and compile technical information.
Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university. For the Associate Planner position, one year of professional planning experience (can be through an internship) preferred. For the City Planner position, minimum of 2-3 years experience as a planner.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Residency requirement of 35 miles within Raymore City Hall.
Salary for Associate Planner is $49597.60
Salary for City Planner is $54717.78