City Planner & Assistant to the City Administrator
City of Ballwin
Ballwin, MO United States
Performs professional planning duties for both current and long-range projects. Reviews plans and explains policy and regulations to the public. Assists the public in achieving expressed development goals. Serves as the staff liaison to the Planning and Zoning Commission.
Assists the City Administrator in carrying out daily administrative duties, conducting research, dealing with organization and managerial issues as they affect the City of Ballwin, and supervising planning and zoning matters.
This position reports directly to the City Administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Lead and implement strategies necessary to support the City’s five-year Annexation Plan.
- Support and promote the newly adopted Comprehensive Plan for the City of Ballwin.
- Accept and review applications for a variety of City procedures, including site plans, conditional use permits, subdivision plats, variances, rezoning, code amendments, etc.
- Attend all Planning and Zoning Commission meetings, prepares agendas and relevant staff reports and works closely with all petitioners to ensure compliance prior to submissions.
- Implement Board and Commission decisions via the permit review process and final project inspection.
- Serve as the point of contact for residential and corporate citizens with questions regarding land use and development policy, procedure, or pending projects.
- Identify and analyze violations of the City’s land development regulations and work to resolve the matter and attain compliance.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct long-range planning activities in an effort to predict long-term development needs and to ensure that the Code of Ordinances and Comprehensive Plan meet those needs.
- Prepare the recommended new codes and revisions necessary for proper administration of the City’s land development activities, projects and programs.
- Function as a cohesive team member.
- Function with minimal supervision in the planning and zoning function.
- Administers CDBG and other grant opportunities as applicable.
- Attendance at evening meetings required as needed.
- Other duties and functions as assigned by the City Administrator.
DUTIES TO BE ASSIGNED BASED ON EXPERIENCE AND PERFORMANCE
- Assists in coordination of economic development initiatives for the City under the guidance of the City Administrator.
- Conducts thorough research and formulates recommendations for a variety of proposed or existing programs.
- Investigates and resolves citizen complaints in a timely and tactful manner, as well as responding to general citizen inquiries.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal planning and zoning.
- Comprehensive knowledge of local government organizational practices and procedures.
- Ability to interact effectively with elected officials, board and commission members, department heads, members of the business community, employees and the general public.
- Able to perform research, analyze facts and present cogent and workable recommendations.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical ideas effectively, both orally and in writing, as well as the ability to prepare complex records and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, or a related field required. Master’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration preferred.
- Minimum of three years of related experience required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Proficient in Google, Microsoft Office and the ability to learn other software required to perform the job.
I have read and understand the essential functions of the job for which I am applying. I can meet these requirements with or without reasonable accommodations.
Apply on-line at www.ballwin.mo.us. Please include a cover letter and resume with your on-line application. Deadline to apply is October 2, 2019. EOE