MPO Transportation Planning Manager
City of St. Joseph
St. Joseph, MO United States
The MPO Transportation Planning Manager is responsible for assignments that are highly complex and sensitive in nature, where substantial judgment and initiative are essential in making recommendations and resolving problems. This position manages planning, corridor studies, environmental planning, other regional planning projects, facilitates community outreach efforts, and represents the Transportation Authority on technical and policy advisory groups. The duties specified below are characteristic of the range of duties and responsibilities assigned to this position, and not intended to be a comprehensive listing.
- Provides administrative, oversight, and technical responsibility for the management of the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
- Provides analysis, administrative support, financial planning and scheduling for regional capital projects.
- Oversees updates to the Metropolitan Transportation Plan, the Unified Planning Work Program, the Transportation Improvement program, and related federal/state urban area planning activities.
- Responsible for oversight of MPO budget.
- Conducts and designs complex technical planning studies. Collects, analyzes and interprets transportation data, designs surveys, develops long-range transportation planning priorities, summarizes data and prepares reports, and reviews transportation model inputs and outputs.
- Performs project management for large planning and corridor studies. Duties include developing proposals; developing and tracking project budget, scope and performance measures; recommending and procuring consultant services; managing consultant and MPO staff team; reviewing and reporting on study progress and deliverables; applying for and managing of grants; corresponding with agency partners; and developing and implementing public outreach plans.
- Directs and oversees the development of the Transportation Improvement Program, Metropolitan Transportation Plan, Unified Planning Work Program and related products.
- Oversees daily operations of the MPO. Coordinates with St. Joseph Transit staff to identify, write and program/administer grants, operations and capital needs.
- Serves as a liaison with the Federal Highway Administration, Federal Transit Administration, and the Kansas and Missouri Departments of Transportation for planning activities, administers and manages the solicitation and contracts of professional consultant services.
- Develops and oversees the annual MPO budget, including budget development, billing and federal program funding compliance.
- Analyzes impact on and recommends methods of implementing federal and state legislation/regulations which affect the region.
- Supports multi-modal support for bicycle, pedestrian, freight, and develops vehicular equity in funding, safety programs and safety goals.
- Responsible for environmental planning required under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA), relative to federally funded capital improvements undertaken by the Engineering Division and other Departments.
- Serves in various policy-making bodies on regional/state/federal levels.